The new year has started and a lot of people are setting goals for themselves. But how do we stay on track? Here some tips that can help you.
I love setting goals, they show me which direction I want to go in life and it keeps me motivated to do certain things.
1. Break your goal into smaller steps: We all have big dreams, but having hard to achieve goals can lead to disappointment. Start breaking your goal into smaller goals. If you want to start living healthier and switching to a healthy lifestyle right away is to hard for you, start by taking smaller steps. The first week start replacing soda for water or tea. If you achieved that goal, have healthy snacks instead of processed stuff in the second week. Taking smaller steps will make you feel much more proud and motivated and you will still achieve your big goal in the end.
2. Make some small goals: If you find out that sticking to goals in general is hard for you, start making some small easy goals. For example, say to your self that you will be drinking a glass of water when you wake up in the morning and when you go to bed. This is not a difficult goal, but if you achieved it you will feel proud. When you achieved a goal make the next goal more difficult and in the end you will be able to achieve harder goals.
3. Think before you do: When you come in a situation where it is easy to get of track, think before you make a choice. If you have a problem with binging on food for example, think before you take something and realize how you will feel afterwards. Know that this will make you feel disappointed and think of a solution for this situation that will get you closer to your goal.
4. Become part of a community: Since we have the Internet, it is really easy to find people who have the same goals or who want to go into the same direction as you. Those people can really help you to stay motivated and keep you on track. Follow people on instagram, facebook etc. and you will come across a lot of picture, quotes etc that can help you to stay motivated. Starting friendschips with people who have the same goals is lots of fun too. You can help eachother and think how you can do things together.
5. Write things down: Having a notebook with your goals written down is a really good idea too.You can write down your ups and downs from this journey and you can look back at what you can do in the future to get better. Write down your feeling when something went well and when it didn’t go that well. This can help you to make better decisions later. Reading them regularly will make you more aware of your strengths and weaknesses.
6. Learn from your mistakes: Don’t let mistakes be the cause of failing. I know that mistakes can make you feel that you will never achieve your goal, but mistakes can actually help you to make better decisions in the future. They can even help you to get closer to your goal faster!
7. Do it for yourself: You set this goal because you want to achieve something in your life. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it or that this is isn’t a good choice. Work hard and you can prove them that you were right.
8. Don’t stop!: If this is really what you want then let nothing stop you from achieving your goal. You will make mistakes during his journey, but you can only learn from those things and it helps you to make different decisions in the future.
Achieving goals is still something that I am working on, but these things have definitely helped me, hopefully they can help you too.
I would love to hear what your goals are for 2015!